Feeding a toddler has proven to be harder than I thought it would be. Hazel started out as an adventurous eater. I was so proud. She’s not picky! She will eat anything! Somewhere along the way, I’m gonna say around two years of age, she started refusing most of the food I gave her. The girl who used to gobble up scrambled eggs and yogurt was nowhere to be found. She became increasingly suspicious of everything. This has been so frustrating for me. I try really hard to give her food that is home-cooked and healthy and half the time she won’t eat any of it. Everyone says that this is normal for toddlers and that I should just keep doing what I’m doing and she will eventually grow out of it. Thankfully, she has consistently eaten vegetables. She might not like them all, but she does eat quite a variety.
The biggest breakthrough of late is that I have been putting her lunches in a lunch box. I thought maybe if I put her lunch in a box with dividers that maybe she’d start trying new things. It is working! I found this lunch box at Pottery Barn Kids and I love that it comes with a fork and spoon and has a bunch of different sized compartments. There’s even a tiny compartment that is perfect for a little sweet treat. Of course she goes for the treat first. She gets so excited to open it up and see what’s inside. I make a point to put a few things in there that I know she likes plus one or two new foods. I tell her what is in each compartment and then I don’t say another word about it. I have noticed a huge difference in her willingness to at least try everything in the box.
I thought I’d share some of her most recent lunches. As you will see below, she clearly loves PBJ, applesauce and peas. She would eat that every day if I let her. Please share if you have any lunches that your kids love. I am always looking for new ideas!
- Ham/cheddar/Triscuits/carrot & broccoli pouch
- Roast chicken/peas/applesauce
- PBJ/carrots & celery with herb dip/pretzels/mandarin
- Pancakes/sausage/maple syrup/yogurt with pomegranates/pear
- PBJ/peas/applesauce/teddy grahams
- Cheese quesadilla/carrots & red pepper sticks/guacamole//pineapple
- Ham & cheese rollup/apple/Kettle chips/celery sticks/teddy grahams
- Ham rollup/cheddar/apple slices/mixed veggies
- Annie’s pizza rolls/applesauce/steamed broccoli & parmesan/yogurt pretzel
- Peanut butter apple sandwich, peas, Triscuits, cheddar cheese